A few nights ago, as the very last vestiges of the setting sun vanished for another sleepy eve, I went out to get our mail and was almost overwhelmed by how strikingly beautiful the weather was, even at that late hour. In fact, it was the time of the day that helped to make it so magical. The air was warm to the point of feeling electrically charged, yet a solid wind blew, tinged with heat, as the sky turned shades of spilled ink indigo and jet black.
I walked leisurely to and from the mail box, trying to impart the heat of each step into my soul, which still felt partially frozen from last winter. Returning to our wee front stoop, I sat and looked up at the heavens, thanking the universe for the gift of this beautiful night and for the wonder that is summer from start to finish.
There is an abundance of things to adore about this season, even if - unlike myself - the heat isn't one of them for you (the hotter, the better for me, so long as it's a dry heat of the type that we're fortunate to get here most of the time). It is on precisely some of those seasonal joys, perks, and highlights that I'm focusing today's selection of 25 Vintage Deals Under $100.
Whether you prefer AC and a chilled fruit salad, hot dogs on that beach at mid-day, or a simple al fresco picnic as dusk rolls in, there is beauty and joy in every last minute of summertime and I for one, am truly grateful that we still have over two more months still of it to make the very most of. For now, though, let's delve into these delightful deals on summery vintage, handmade, and vintage appropriate goodies that are sure to appeal to even the biggest fan of winter amongst us! :)
1. Butterflies are a common sight in many areas, my own included, during the summer months and are such a beautiful, apt symbol of the season. I've always had a major thing for butterfly themed jewelry and clothing, and if you do as well, then you might adore this whimsically sweet c. 1960s BSK brand silver washed brushed gold tone metal butterfly brooch, which would look super cute on all kinds of summer sundresses, blouses, peasant tops, and (pinned) to straw hats and handbags. $16.00 from Chronically Vintage on Etsy.
2. Though they look beyond good enough to eat, these are not in fact real popsicles! Nope, instead they're some of the cutest handmade soaps I've ever seen. Talk about a great gift to give your guests at a summer party or barbeque! $5.50 for one 4 ounce bar of glycerin soap from Crimson Hill.
3. Nothing says summertime quite like the beach and few things represent that most delightful of places better than seashells, such as the fabulously pretty ones in this rare c. 1950s Mosell white enamel coated gold tone bracelet. $48.00 from Chronically Vintage on Etsy.
4. Wrangle excess volume or simply highlight your beautiful curves further with this charming, super cute rhinestone bow belt. Its light blue hue reminds me of the sparkling summer sky and the rhinestones of fluffy white clouds floating through it. $19.99 from Blue Velvet Vintage.
5. Smocking, a dainty floral pattern set atop a pastel pink background, fluttery sleeves, and a nice mid-calf (on most people) length lend this 1970s sundress an awesome mid-century vibe that would be right at home in a 1940s ensemble. Fits up to a 38" bust/ 36" waist, due to the fact that it's elasticized and can therefore work for many different sizes, from XS to XL (up to 36" inches in the waist). $42.00 from Chronically Vintage on Etsy.
6. The first of the season's peaches - which our area of the country is famous for growing a huge abundance of - are just starting to hit the grocery store and farmer's market stall shelves - and with them comes thoughts of peach everything - very much including accessories, like this fabulously fun vintage style handmade confetti lucite style brooch that is positively pulsating with old school inspired charm. $21.00 from Summer Blue Jewelry.
7. Described as having notes of Suntan Lotion, Coconut, Sea Salt, Lime, Jasmine, and Musk, this artisan scent is so far up my alley, it's not even funny! :) I haven't tried it yet myself, but it's on my wishlist and I really hope to one day, especially since it sounds like the most perfect summertime perfume ever. $23.00 for a spray bottle of scent from Wylde Ivy.
8. Calling all tiki, Hawaiian and Polynesian fans, this off-the-charts fabulous 1950s plastic and metal charm bracelet is for your! It features nuggets of marbled turquoise blue and white plastic, along with super fun metal hula girl charms. Love, love, love!!! $42.00 from Chronically Vintage on Etsy.
9. Summery, sweet and stylish, this delightful mid-century rhinestone and plastic flower brooch instantly calls to mind fields of wildflowers swaying rhythmically in the roasty-toasty July breeze. $14.21 from Tansy Bell Vintage (use the coupon code TBV1Year at checkout to save 25% off on everything from this wonderful European Etsy vintage shop).
10. Though we do most often associate them with summer, pastels are frequently players during the summer, too, showing up in everything from ice cream to swimsuits to salt water taffy, not to mention in our jewelry choices. This new-to-the-shop deadstock set of Nemo brand 1950s clip-on earrings is bursting with some of the loveliest pastel shades around and offers you all kinds of marvelous matches for your warm weather outfits, be they mid-century, repro, pinup, rockabilly, or modern. $28.00 for the set of five pairs on their original paper display card, from Chronically Vintage on Etsy.
11. That the New Look influence is hard at work in this splendidly pretty 1940s two-piece summer dress and jacket Anne Adams sewing pattern is undeniable, much like the timeless loveliness of the garments themselves that it will help you produce. $15.00 from One More Cup of Tea.
12. Even on the hottest days of the year, if an outfit calls for them, I have no qualms with sporting vintage gloves, though I do usually keep the colours light and the lengths short. This beautiful pair of candy pink c. 1950s gloves are just the sort I'd reach for, especially because of their eye-catching braided detailing at the wrist. Fits a vintage size 7 or 7.5 hand. $15.00 from Chronically Vintage on Etsy.
13. Recently I had the pleasure of obtaining a small assortment of mid-century vintage millinery flowers, most of which were (are) in brooch form, including this cheerful, summertime outfit perfect dark pink daisy example. $10.00 from Chronically Vintage on Etsy (some of the millinery flowers have already sold, but you can see all of the ones that remain here).
14. Summer + sunglasses are a natural (and smart!) match, especially when you've got frames as a sweetly lovely as these pretty pink 1950s cat eye ones (swoon!). $56.00 from Go Go Vintage Glasses.
15. Hot weather calls for lightness - in food, in bedding, and most definitely in clothing, including our accessories. This recently listed 1950s Coro brand cream and gold 1950s confetti lucite necklace is ideal for the season's scorching heat and would even be a great choice for a summer bride on her wedding day. $25.00 from Chronically Vintage on Etsy.
16. Give the oven the day (or month!) off with this delightful pair of mid-century vintage recipe books, both of which feature oodles of cold eats and drinks to help make the heat more bearable and delicious at the same time. $13.50 for the pair from Mud In The USA.
17. Elegant white milk glass and fun aqua hued molded plastic blooms team up with gold tone metal in this eye-catchingly gorgeous 1950s bracelet that sings with the spirit of summer and which partners so well with tons of different mid-century novelty prints, circle skirts, and sundresses all season long. $30.00 from Chronically Vintage on Etsy.
18. Ideal for everything from weddings to garden parties, church to a girls night out, this classic, good sized mid-century beaded white purse is the kind of goes-with-everything accessory you'll reach for time and time again for many years to come. $38.00 from Buy Ur Vintage Junk (be sure to use the exclusive coupon code for Chronically Vintage readers, VTG20, at checkout to save 20% off on all merchandise at Buy Ur Vintage Junk's shop until the end of July).
19. Though it is technically a covered casserole dish, I can't help but think how perfect this beautiful 1940s piece of crockery (that measures 8.5 inches in circumference) would be to serve summer salads - from potato to garden to macaroni - in all summer long, especially if you were entertaining outdoors. $15.00 from Vintage Finds by Suzi.
20. This classic 1950s tea length white sleeveless dress is currently on sale and deeply discounted, which just bolsters its appeal all the more. I could see this dress looking like a million dollars at all kinds of events from weddings (including as a wedding dress itself) to car shows to summer concerts. Available in modern ladies sizes XS to XL, $59.00 at the time of writing from Blue Velvet Vintage.
21. Rare is the summer day when I'm not wearing at least one thing with flowers on, be it a dress, hat, handbag, pair of shoes, or piece of jewelry. They suit the season sublimely and are just so cheerful to boot, very much including this wonderfully gorgeous c. 1910s - 1920s antique pale pink glass brooch with hand painted blue and pink flowers on it. $28.00 from Chronically Vintage on Etsy.
22. If you live anywhere near a body of water, especially one frequented by people, chances are seagulls are as common a summertime sight around your town as they are in mind. Unlike the real deal though, this cute, kitschy pair won't get your car dirty or try to steal your lunch, instead they might in fact jazz it up thanks to the fact that they're salt and pepper shakers. $17.95 from Shake That Thang.
23. Like many a child, I can fondly remember picking daisies and braiding crowns of them to wear as I played outside during the summer when I was a youngster. This sweet, romantically pretty mid-century pink enamel and gold tone metal flower bracelet reminds me of those carefree, sun-kissed days each time I look at it. $20.00 from Chronically Vintage on Etsy.
24. Much like winter's chill, summer's heat can do a real number on your lips, especially if you're spending much time in the sun and/or water. Help keep your lips smoochably soft with this warm weather perfect selection ice cream flavour inspired lip balms from Live Beautifully Body. $4.50 per individual tube of lip balm.
25. We have the merest speck of a yard in front (and to one side) of our condo and there isn't room for a real garden, but thanks to two small patches of dirt, since the year we moved in here (2012), we've been able to keep three rose bushes that we planted alive and thriving. They bloom about three or even four times between June and October usually and are out in full force right now. Rose are my all time favourite flower in any form, very much including jewelry, so this new-to-the-shop vintage enamel and shiny gold tone metal really feels at home in July for me and I'm sure for many of you as well. $18.00 from Chronically Vintage on Etsy.
♥ ♥ ♥
As I sat on the front stairs and gazed at the first pulsating stars of the evening, I wished with all my might to capture the temperature, the vitality of the warm air, and the whole season itself and keep it there forever. Alas, such is not possible, but I did bank as much of it as I could in my memory to see me through when the icy breath of Old Man winter returns to breath down my neck again.
While seasons are temporary, pieces like those well priced examples in today's post can last far longer than just three months and are a great way to keep the spirit of the season going long after the last beach day of the year. And that is certainly something to be thankful for unto itself.
Have an amazing, sunshine filled second half of July, my dear friends!!!