To my mind mind, no season is quite as cozy as autumn. Winter has the same, if not a greater, degree of hibernation-ness, yes, but even in this super modern day and age, winter seems to have a great degree of survival and risk involved. Icy roads and sidewalks, potential power outages during rough weather, cars that won't start in the morning, the dangers of blizzards, frostbite, hypothermia, falling through the ice if you're on the (frozen) water, more contagious viruses floating around, the list goes on and on.
Of course winter has many resplendent, beautiful points as well, don't get me wrong, but there more of a carefree coziness to autumn and that is what is at the heart of this month's 25 Vintage Deals Under $100.00 post.
The perks and charms of this season are well known and widely beloved. Hearty comfort food, often made with the season's rainbow-esque bounty. The last vestiges of warmth from the sun before it quite literally heads south for the winter, the return of soft layers and element protecting tights; hunkering down in front of a roaring fireplace, and gathering with others inside to celebrate the season's marvelous holidays are but a few of the things make fall the seasonal equivalent of a sublimely soft cashmere throw.
These brief, elegant weeks of golden light and equally amber hued leaves, rich pumpkin desserts and times when coats feel more like the fashion statement they are and less like a mandatory fortress against the icy chill that will accompany winter, are utterly marvelous and will forever stand as my very favourite of the year.
Let's then, delve into a fun filled selection of budget-friendly vintage, handmade, and vintage appropriate finds that celebrate the homey comforts of autumn, which kicked off this week, and revel in the joys, gorgeousness, and peaceful comfort of this third chapter of the year.
25 Vintage Deals Under $100
for September 2015
1. Scarves aren't just pretty, come the nippier months of the years, they're a vital fashion accessory to help keep the chill at bay. Whether you wear it around your head, neck, or even as a belt (to wrangle some of those many cold weather layers, perhaps), this big, gorgeous c. 1950s fall hued rose print 30.5 inch square scarf is bound to keep you toasty in style. $22.00 from Chronically Vintage on Etsy.
2. Gear up for all manner of fabulous fall feasts with this elegantly pretty set of mid-century autumn leaf print paper napkins and coasters, which come in their original packaging. $7.25 for the set from The Weathered Bungalow.
3. Though bees are often seen as a symbol of spring, and that they rightfully are, I've always associated them - and their hives (and scrumptious honey!) - with fall as well, so the moment I spotted this gorgeous vintage appropriate cardigan from Gleeful Peacock, it was love at first sight!!! Available in modern sizes small to XL. $46.00 from Gleeful Peacock (who have very kindly offered my readers free shipping on all orders at their site when you use the coupon code Vintage15 at checkout).
4. They're not paper, plastic, wood, or even the real deal, nope, they fabulously lifelike looking fall leaf cake decorations are made from rice paper and would be stunning for any fall time cake, batch of cupcakes, doughnut tower, or other sweet treat (a wedding cake very much included). $6.18 for 14 edible fall leaves from Eat Me.
5. From the rich, warm brown hues to the timelessly gorgeous oak leaf, wood grain, and acorn imagery depicted on it, this early 20th century molded plastic belt buckle sings with the spirit of the season and will look sensational on any sewing or craft project. $20.00 from Chronically Vintage on Etsy.
6.Nothing says fall quite like pumpkins, be they used in our decor, recipes, or wearables. In the latter camp, I am thoroughly smitten with these elegant handmade pumpkin earrings that have such a serene, timelessly pretty quality to them. $15.00 from D'Rae Designs.
7. To use a spot of current lingo, I die...Seriously this stunning 1940s gold/mustard yellow hued blazer is so stylish, so classic, and so deeply attractive. It's reasonable price is the icing on the sartorial cake. Fits up to a 38" bust/30" waist. $85.00 from Blue Velvet Vintage.
8. An owl, warm seasonal hues, a beautiful quote from George Eliot, what's not to adore about this enchantingly pretty hand made metal cuff bracelet? $38.00 from Accesoreads.
9. Perfect for pumpkin spice milk shakes, iced chai lattes, festive punches and scores of other scrumptious seasonal drinks, these fun, retro style orange, white and brown paper straws are just the thing to jazz up any meal or party. $3.49 for 25 straws from Food with Fashion.
10. I am by no means the first vintage gal to make this statement, but I really notice that I tend to wear more separates in the fall and winter. Certainly the need for layers and oodles of warmth factors in there, but I think that the fact that we want to feel cozy in the process also plays a roll. If you've been hunting for a great vintage skirt that suits this season to a tee, this beautiful c. 1970s does 1940s/50s Tan Jay brand dusty rose hued wool blend offering may just do the trick. Fits up to a 31 inch waist/42 inch hips. $32.00 from Chronically Vintage on Etsy.
11. Splendidly pretty and immensely seasonally appropriate, this classy vintage mixed metal autumn leaf charm bracelet is just the thing for any old school, boho, or modern outfit. $35.00 from Coco and Orange.
12. Step into fall, quite literally, with these timeless, wonderfully pretty 1960s tawny brown hued suede and leather shoes. Listed as fitting a vintage size 7 1/2 foot. Currently on sale at the time of writing for $18.00 from Memorare Vintage.
13. Hunting for a stunning vintage fall statement necklace? Search no further! This sophisticated mid-century five strand plastic faux pearl necklace sums up autumn's earthiest shades in a chic, glamorous ombre array that is stop-you-in-your-tracks gorgeous!!! $28.00 from Chronically Vintage on Etsy.
14. As the days grow shorter and the temperatures chillier, one can't help but want to reach for an especially luxurious vintage hat - such as this mid-century cream feather covered stunner - again. Not only are they wildly chic, but they'll help you stay warm to boot. Total win-win! Vintage feather hat, currently on sale for $24.50 from The Best Vintage Clothing.
15. Pine cones might be more commonly associated with winter, but they've always been a lovely, familiar part of autumn - especially the second half of the season - for me as well. I love that this Mother Nature inspired mid-century Gerry's brand enamel and gold tone metal suits both seasons splendidly and yet is not so inherently tied to either, IMO, that it can't be worn all throughout the year as well. $12.50 from Chronically Vintage on Etsy.
16. Talk about the most perfect fall palette ever for a garment! This 1950s day dress is alive with cozy hues of orange, yellow and brown and would be utterly marvelous to wear for Thanksgiving. Fits up to a 41" bust/30" waist. $98.00 from Stutterin Mama.
17. Much like hats, gloves do double duty (style + practical warmth) in the colder months and no pair currently listed in my shop captures the colour palette of the season better than these fabulous 1950s -60s wrist length sparkly gold Lurex ones. Most likely to fit a size 6 or 6.5 hand (see listings for sizing details). $16.00 from Chronically Vintage on Etsy.
18. Dish up everything from crisp fall morning Sunday brunches to Thanksgiving dinner sides (or even some of the turkey itself) on this timelessly lovely mid-century Old Orchard pattern serving platter that measures 15.25" x 11". $18.00 from The Haystack Needle.
19. I absolutely, positively love acorns and acorn themed items, so the moment I laid eyes on this hand painted Woodland Wishes Pendant necklace from Gleeful Peacock (which is available in various colour combinations), it was love at first - the fact that it's design is timeless enough to wear vintage various vintage/pinup outfits certainly doesn't hurt either. $32.00 from Gleeful Peacock (who, as mentioned above here, have very kindly offered my readers free on all orders at their site when you use the coupon code Vintage15 at checkout).
20. I'm not a knitter, but I'm sure if I was, I would feel the siren's call to put my needles into overdrive each year as autumn reemerged, turning to fabulous mid-century knitting booklets like this c. 1950s Styles by Beehive offering if I was. $8.50 from Chronically Vintage on Etsy (check out the other knitting booklets that I currently have in stock here).
21. These darling vintage owl salt and pepper shakers are such a hoot! (See what I did there? :D) Liven up your Halloween or Thanksgiving party table with them or simply keep these adorable vintage owls out all season (or year) long for a great hit of nature in the home. $12.00 from Yell and Panic.
22. With a product name like Autumn Heirloom, it was a safe bet this beautiful sounding hand lotion would catch my eye instantly. It boasts notes of Anjou pear, pumpkin, apples, honeycomb and so much more. Swoon!!! $10.00 for a 5.5 ounce container of lotion from Debaucherous Bath.
23.The colours in this elegant handmade hair flower are so sweetly gorgeous! I feel like really capture the feminine side of autumn's palette. J'adore!!! $7.00 from The Two Wicked Magpies.
24. Our corner of the country is one of the largest wine producing regions in North America, with thousands upon thousands of bottles being produced locally each year. Early fall is grape harvest season for many growers around these parts and indeed Penticton even has a big annual wine festival each around the start of October. As such, this familiar fruit and its delectable ends results are big part of autumn for many around here and to celebrate that fact, I thought it would be fun to include this elegant c. 1950s - 1960s Sarah Coventry gold tone metal and faux pearl grape branch brooch here today. $16.00 from Chronically Vintage on Etsy.
25. As someone who rarely goes more than a few days in the fall without tucking into something pumpkin spice filled, this charming 100% cotton flour sack dish towel instantly spoke to me and put a big smile on my face. 28" x 29" tea towel, $10.00 from Kitsch Studios.
♥ ♥ ♥
Not only is fall fabulous cozy, but it is also deeply elegant. The rich jewel tones, sensual fabrics (velvet, thick knits, corduroy, etc), and myriad ways we decorate for this time of the year makes it one of the most sophisticated and stylish seasons, too - a point that I also tried to weave into today's post.
I'm giddy as a squirrel who happened upon an unexpected acorn tree grove that fall is here again. I started decorating (for autumn) back in August and will begin putting out Halloween things - of which I've bought several new additions to my collection in recent weeks - very soon. Happy camper? You bet your bottom dollar! :)
Let's all celebrate and embrace autumn while it's here. Bake apple pies, go pumpkin picking, frolic in the crunchy leaves, take a peaceful Sunday drive in the county to admire the enchanting colours of the landscape, and savour each point that makes this time of the year such an incredible, joyfully cozy one.