Speedy and very busy for me, August's go-go-go pace has somewhat taken the wind out of my sails. As such, I gave serious though to skipping the 25 Vintage Deals post this month (a new one doesn't happen every single month, but I do aim to get them up whenever possible, especially since I know that they're popular with many of my readers), as they take quite a few hours – and a fair bit of energy - to put together and write.
However, on Friday night one of my conditions started flaring up and the Etsy shop related work that I had planned to do then wasn't able to happen. Instead I wound in bed and it just seemed logical to start gathering listings for today's post while I was, which is exactly what I did. :)
Though the weather here, save for a spot of rain on Friday, has been great lately and far more summery than autumnal, there are subtle signs of the next season's impending arrival and indeed, the fact that we're into the last stretch of August is one unto itself.
Given that school will be starting again for many of my readers and/or their kids, and since most of us automatically associate late summer with brand new notebooks, shiny red apples, and hitting the books, I thought it would be a lot of fun to focus August's edition of 25 Vintage Deals Under $100.00 on school days and early autumn related vintage, vintage appropriate, and handmade budget-friendly finds.
So grab a freshly sharpened #2 pencil, slip into a plaid skirt, and get ready to jot down notes on all the wallet approved bargains that are coming your way this month! :)
25 Vintage Deals under $100
for August 2015
1. No fruit is more synonymous with the end of summer and all of autumn than apples. Be they the real deal or the wearable kind like this delightfully fun little brushed gold vintage brooch, as the days grow shorter, one is always served well by upping their apple quota. $8.50 from Chronically Vintage on Etsy.
2. Chalkboard paint and chalkboard themed decor items have been all the rage for several years now, but sometimes they're no beating the real, original deal, like this great mid-century 13.5 x 19 inch handheld chalkboard slate that could easily be hung on a wall in any classroom or part of your house. $30.00 from Blue Moon Collectibles.
3. This used 1940s Double Q composition notebook is extremely cool. Inside the original owner kept school notes and filled some of the pages with her very talented illustrations. What a special slice of mid-century daily life! $15.00 from Kenton Collectibles.
4. Perfect for pre-school aged children, very much including younger siblings when their older brothers and sisters rush off to catch the school bus next month, this timelessly fun vintage metal See and Spell Toy is sure to entertain little ones and bring back plenty of memories for the the young at heart alike. $40.00 from DeeDee's Vintage Decor.
5. There is something very young-woman-about-campus to these fabulous 1940s style Tan Faux Suede Bow Accent Chunky Heel Shoes. They're stylish, comfortable looking, and so timelessly pretty! Available in modern ladies sizes 7 - 10 from Blue Velvet Vintage.
6. An awesome mid-century modern inspired print calls the fabric on this versatile little handmade zipper pouch home. Use it as a pencil case, makeup bag, small clutch - whatever you can dream up! $13.00 from The Curious Needle.
7. One of the most classic and important signs of the harvest season - the wheat stalk - stars in this timelessly pretty, Thanksgiving perfect mid-century vintage copper matching brooch and earring set. $27.00 for the set from Chronically Vintage on Etsy.
8. From garments to scrapbook pages to teacher's gifts, the array of creative projects you could create with this set of handmade apple print fabric covered buttons is as vast as the number of leaves that will tumble to the ground this autumn. $4.83 for a set of five buttons from Handmade by Elaine.
9. Cute, kitschy and such a great conversation starter, this 1950s Polly red top 1950s lunchbox with matching thermos features oodles of cool mid-century illustrations and is so much fun, you might want to give it pride-of-place on a kitchen, classroom, or office shelf. $58.00 for the two-piece set from Tessie's Old Oddities.
10. Perfect now as is or with a cardi + tights (and/or tall boots) for the nippier days of the coming season, this fun, sophisticated mid-century matching cotton floral print jacket/blouse and skirt set sings with the colour palette of the changing seasons. Fits up to a 34 inch bust/26 inch waist. $52.00 for both pieces from Chronically Vintage on Etsy.
11. Hand tooled leather stars in this eye-catching, festively fun little dish that suits the end of summer as well as it does each day of autumn. $12.00 from Beyond The Door.
12. Squeal worthily sweet, this 1960s Josef Originals school teacher mouse vintage figurine is as cute as September's golden light is beautiful! $6.00 from Raindrop Vintage Shop.
13. There are certain scents that will always go hand-in-hand with the return of the school year and chalk - and chalk dust - is most certainly one of those for me. Take a trip down memory lane with this delightful mid-century box of colour chalk. $10.00 from Fly By Night Vintage.
14. Jazz up your back-to-class 'do with this wonderfully cute mid-century vintage "School Days" fountain pen shaped hair barrette. $10.00 from Rosebud Cottage.
15. Nothing says fall quite like the sight of crunchy leaves carpeting the ground or the jewelry version jazzing up our favourite ensembles. Greet September's return in timeless style when you pin this elegant mid-century vintage black and coppery brown enamel maple leaf brooch to your favourite dress, blouse, or sweater - its colour palette also makes it a great choice for Halloween, to boot. $14.00 from Chronically Vintage on Etsy.
16. Keep your noggin' nice and toasty while watching outdoor football games, picking pumpkins, or doing yard work come autumn time in this whimsically charming mid-century vintage yellow and green wool beanie hat embroidered with the team name Rough Riders. $25.00 from Savanteer Vintage.
17. Fabulous for its intended purpose or as a stylish decor item/photo shoot prop, this fun Stenso Lettering Card comes with its original wrapper and still in very good shape. $10.00 from Retro Reaction.
18. In the last few weeks I've bought four new scented candles to help ensure I'm ready to face the encroaching long nights of fall and winter all the better. If I was going to add a fifth to the seasonal collection, I would be very (!) tempted to make it this seriously scrumptious scented, autumn perfect handmade pumpkin bread soy wax tined candle. $6.00 for a 4 ounce candle from Sweet River Candle Co.
19. You like vintage school supplies, oui? Then this pretty and practical set of French language flashcards from 1959 is for you. $18.00 for 51 flashcards and their original box from Recent History.
20. Whether you're a teacher or not, chances are you enjoy the symbolic pairing of apples and late summer, including making them a part of your wardrobe. What more fun and whimsically charming way to do just that than with this big, beautiful vintage rhinestone and enamel coated green apple necklace? $26.00 from Chronically Vintage on Etsy.
21. Charming illustrations combine with wooden letters and a practical, handy education tool in this 1940s Richmond Spelling and Numbers Board, that would also make for a great piece of home decor, especially in an office or library. $24.00 from Retro Reaction.
22. For several decades now my maternal grandma has had a set of coaster which feature dried flower sandwiched between clear glass. Every time I look at this lovely mid-century vintage clear plastic brooch with its dried wildflowers, I am reminded of those coasters and warm summer and early autumn days spent at her house. $14.00 from Chronically Vintage on Etsy.
23. Worth its asking price for the soft sage green colour and awesome font used on the cover alone, this lovely 1940s classmate autograph book is a thoroughly charming reminder of a once common item that most smart phone carrying students today have never even heard of - let alone owned. $10.00 from Lisa's Retro Style.
24. If ever there was an iconic little girl's school dress, this beautiful vintage Polly Flinder's smocked plaid number it is. Aww! Stated as being a (children's) size 5. $14.22 from Wee Little Ones Vintage.
25. Pear season is really starting to hit its stride here in the sunny Okanagan right now and will continue for several seriously delicious weeks to come. If you're a fan of this sweet, juicy fruit and/or wearable items that depict it, then this warmly hued vintage 3D plastic pear and gold tone chain necklace is for you! $18.00 from Chronically Vintage on Etsy.
♥ ♥ ♥
I've said it before, but I'll happily say it again, there is truly something about this time of the year - especially once we hit early September - that really feels like it's the start of a new year. I use it in much the same way as one and have been doing a lot of housekeeping, organizing, and a few home repairs lately.
It's just natural that we want our abodes, our own personal sanctuaries, to be neat, tidy, and in good working order before the brutally cold winter months take hold again and we hunker down to keep the chill at bay inside of them.
This is a beautiful, endearing time of the year. Busy, yes, but also often a lot of fun and filled with such a rich bounty of seasonal joys! Some of which I've tried to capture here in today's post, which I'm very glad was able to come to fruition in the end.
Have a relaxing, wonderful second to late Sunday in August, my dear friends!
(And if you haven't done so already, please be sure to check out and leave a comment - to support on of our own - on this week's brand new vintage blogger interview post featuring an engaging discussion with the very stylish Holly Brolsma-Colon from Veronica Vintage.)